Self-Care Week 2015 in Bracknell and Ascot was supported by Bracknell Forest Council and Bracknell and Ascot Clinical Commissioning Group (BACCG), Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, Healthwatch Bracknell Forest, HealthMakers and Shopmobility.
Cllr Dale Birch, Bracknell Forest Council’s executive member for Adult Social Care, Health and Housing, said: “Self-Care Week is about people making time to look after themselves, which is why we are encouraging residents to stay fit and healthy as well as being informed about how to deal with minor ailments and long-term conditions.”
Dr Martin Kittel, from BACCG, said: “When people take good care of their own health it has benefits for everyone. They spend less time at the GP and other appointments and get more enjoyment out of life. Our local hospitals also save time and money because they will be under increasing pressure as winter draws near.”
During self care week there were Street Doctors at different locations throughout Bracknell Forest.
School and Children’s Centre Poster Competition
As part of Self-Care Week there was a School Poster Competition. There were opportunities for children to learn about Self-Care and to win some fantastic prizes including family tickets to The Look Out and Coral Reef, all generously donated by partners and providers supporting the event.
Free Activities on offer during the week:
- Buggy Walk, 16th November 2015, 10.00: Meet at the front of The Alders and Chestnuts Children’s Centre
- South Hill Park Ranger Walk, Tuesday, 17th November 2015, 10:30: Meet in the front courtyard just outside the Arts Centre main reception
- Zumba, Tuesday, 17th November 2015, 20:00-21:00 at Sandhurst Memorial Hall
- Tai-Chi, Thursday, 19th November 2015 20:45 – 21:45, Martin’s Heron & The Warren Community Centre
- Lily Hill Park Ranger Walk, Friday, 20th November 2015, 14:00-15:00, Meet at the main public car park of Lily Hill Park at 14:00
- Buggy Walk, Friday, 20th November 2015, 11:00am: Meet at the front of The Rowans and Sycamores Children’s Centre
- Yoga and Pilates, Friday, 20th November 2015 18:30 – 19:30, Edgbarrow Sports Centre
- Boot Camp Session, Saturday, 21st November 2015 09:00 – 10:00 Harmans Water Playing Field
- Run Coaching Session, Sunday, 22nd November 2015, 09:00-10:00: Meet at the car park of The Look Out Discovery Centre
Events and Talks on offer during the week:
- “Find out about Self-Care” Tuesday, 3rd November 2015, 10:00am – 12:30pm, Bracknell Open Learning Centre
- FallsFree4Life Quiz, Tuesday, 17th November, 10:00-13:00, Crowthorne Morgan Centre, RG45 7LD
- Age Concern Bracknell Forest Self-Care Event, Wednesday, 18th November, 14:00-16:00, The New Priestwood Community Centre
- Free coffee afternoon for over 50s, Wednesday, 18th November 2015 13:30 – 15:00, Easthampstead and Wildridings Community Centre
- “No one is an island” Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 19:00-21:00, Easthampstead Baptist Church
- “Someone to watch over me? Palliative Care – Find support and nursing care when you most need it” Saturday, 21st November 2015, 10.00am until 12.30pm, Sandhurst School, GU47 0SD”
- Seated exercises for residents of sheltered housing, residential and nursing homes, this will be taking place throughout the week
Presentation given on the success of Self-Care Week 2015:
Self-Care Week 2015 Report
To view the Self-Care Week 2015 Report, click here.
To view the Options Report Executive Summary for Self-Care Week 2015 please click here.